“End Your Wrinkle Worries!”
BOTOX® works in two ways -
- Applied earlier in life, BOTOX® can prevent wrinkles from ever appearing.
- If you are old enough to have wrinkles, BOTOX® can remove wrinkles you’ve developed over time. BOTOX® can be combined with other therapies, if necessary, to dramatically reduce or even eliminate those unwanted wrinkles.
- Keep your expression—just lose the wrinkles!
- Works by gently relaxing over-developed wrinkle-creating muscles to keep them from creasing the skin.
- Lose as many wrinkles as you want — one or several — that detract from your overall look.
- Great first step toward preventing or removing wrinkles.
- Dr. Mudd has advanced training acquired by studying with the foremost physicians who apply BOTOX® in North America.
- Dr. Mudd’s expert training allows her to apply BOTOX® across the face and neck–not just the forehead.
Will my face look frozen or will I have trouble showing emotion?
When you see or hear of such exaggerated results, this is usually the result of poorly placed or excessive doses of BOTOX® injections. Injecting BOTOX® definitely requires some art behind the science. You need an artistic eye as well as a fairly hefty knowledge of the complex interactions of the many facial muscles if you want to preserve animation, character, and personality while diminishing age-creating wrinkles. For your own safety, these injections should be administered by a knowledgeable physician in a medical setting.
How does it work?
BOTOX® is a purified protein which has the effect of relaxing muscles. Our facial muscles are the only muscles of the body that hypertrophy or get stronger as we age, due to their frequent use in making facial expressions. These repeated muscle contractions cause the skin to form lines known as dynamic wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles include the crow’s feet, frown lines, forehead lines, nasal wrinkles, lip lines, sad face/jowl lines (“marionette lines” like Howdy Doody), and neck bands. When BOTOX® is injected into the muscles that create dynamic wrinkles, it causes the muscles to relax, smoothing the skin and giving the face a more relaxed appearance. Over time, these muscles will gradually weaken, so we tend to use them less often. Both these effects work to cause less future wrinkling. Eventually the effects of the BOTOX® will last longer and a lower dosage or less frequent injections may be sufficiently effective. BOTOX® works by dealing with the underlying problem rather than the symptoms. When combined with MicroLaserPeel® or used in conjunction with Rejuvenation Mesotherapy or dermal fillers such as Restylane®, Juvéderm®, or Perlane®, you have powerful anti-wrinkle therapy.
Can creams or lotions get the same effect?
Some creams and lotions claim to get the same effect as BOTOX®, but these primarily moisturize the skin and have minimal to no ability to relax muscles. Only BOTOX® is able to relax the muscles that are causing wrinkle formation because of movement.
What does it feel like?
BOTOX® is injected into the chosen areas using the finest gauge (smallest) needle made. Most patients report minimal to no discomfort. The procedure is simple and quick so it can be done in a brief office visit, even during your lunch break. It is recommended that you receive injections every 3 months for the first year and then every 4-6 months after that. Immediately after the injections you are asked to stay upright and avoid rubbing the area and to avoid strenuous exercise for at least 4 hours.